Saturday 23rd September 2017

Menai Bridge

 

Menai BridgeMenai Bridge (Welsh: Porthaethwy) is a small town and community on the Isle of Anglesey in north Wales. It overlooks the Menai Strait and lies by the Menai Suspension Bridge, built in 1826 by Thomas Telford. It is the third largest settlement on the island, with a population of 3,850, and occupies the area of the former parish of Llandysiliogogo, whose former church continues in use as a mortuary chapel.

 

It has existed as Porthaethwy for many centuries and it still has a house in current use which dates from the 17th century. It is likely that a community has existed at the location of Menai Bridge since Roman times simply because this is the shortest crossing of the Menai Strait. There is a range of buildings including the old court house, a number of old pubs and the buildings associated with the wood-yard (in the process of being converted to houses).

 

On 12 November 1918 Air Marshal Sir Thomas Elmhirst flew airship SSZ73 under the Menai Bridge following the armistice at the end of World War I.

 

At the eastern edge of the town is Cwm Cadnant Dingle which is now by-passed by a modern bridge constructed in the 1970s. The Afon Cadnant drains into the Menai Strait at this point and this small estuary provides a natural haven for small boats crossing from the mainland. This was the location of the landing stage for the Bishops of Bangor who had their residence at Glyn Garth on Anglesey but whose cathedral was in Bangor on the mainland. Regrettably, the Bishop's palace has been destroyed in recent years and replaced by a block of flats.

 

There are a number of small islands in the Menai Strait some of which are connected to the town by causeways, including Ynys Faelog, Ynys Gaint and Ynys Castell east of the suspension bridge and Church Island (Ynys Tysilio in Welsh) west of the bridge. The Anglesey Coastal Path passes along the waterfront.

 

Menai Bridge has a wide selection of churches and chapels including a Welsh Presbyterian church and Catholic church. The town also has a primary school, Ysgol y Borth, and a large bilingual comprehensive school - Ysgol David Hughes.

 

Attractions in Menai Bridge include the 14th-century Church of St Tysilio, St Georges Pier and a butterfly house - Pili Palas.

 

Executive coach on Menai Bridge